Monday, May 25, 2015

Recipe Trial - Southwestern Sausage Quiche

If you know me, you know I have a love for Plain Chicken.  If you haven't heard of her, then head over plainchicken.com and I think you will love her as much as I do.  Her food is outstanding and although she roots for the enemy (she's all in for Auburn and ya'll know I bleed Crimson, White and a little houndstooth), she is where it is at for fun-loving tailgate food and other comfort must have's.  This week I tried out her Southwestern Sausage Quiche, with a few tweaks.  Not only did I love it, but the family did too.  A1 devoured it, while A2 stared at my plate longingly wondering when her bottle would be replaced with a plate of cheesy goodness. 


Warning - this is a rich dish.  I lightened it up in some aspects, but by now means is this going to get you swimsuit ready!  But when its raining and yucky outside, it sure is yummy!


Recommendations - use a deep dish pie crust, or if you can't find one, don't fill it to the brim.  And let it set up after cooking, maybe even 15 minutes (original recipe says 5-10).  (Wanna know a secret - we were hungry and didn't want and just ate a big pile of mess with some crust under it.  Tastes the same :P)  And I didn't have regular milk, but plain almond milk works just fine.



Adapted from Plain Chicken


3/4 pound turkey sausage (original called for 1/2 pound but we are carnivores)
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 can (10 oz) mild Rotel tomatoes (pulsed in food processor - I didn't drain mine)
2 eggs
1/4 cup light Ranch dressing
1/4 cup light sour cream
1/3 cup unsweetened original almond milk (I normally would use skim but this is what we had)
1 9-inch unbaked deep dish pie shell



Preheat oven to 350.



In a large skillet, cook sausage until no longer pink. Drain and set to the side. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, ranch dressing, sour cream and milk. Add sausage, cheese and Rotel to the egg mixture. Stir to combine. Pour mixture into pie crust.



Bake 1 hour. Allow quiche to rest for 15 to 20 minutes before serving.









No comments:

Post a Comment